segunda-feira, maio 13, 2002

Sobre mediocridade gastronômica e o significado disso na vida em geral. Encontrado no suburbanlimbo. Vá até lá se você quiser ver a foto do casal, ou ler os outros posts bacanas dele. Mas ele acertou particularmente nesse.


" All through dinner, I starred at this couple sitting behind Jake. Older. My guess is from the Midwest (they sounded that way). Barely spoke to each other. The reason for my fascination was the woman. We're eating in a fairly fancy place (a $75 bucks head is not unheard of) and she's drinking a tall glass of Orange Soda.

Maybe there's a fine reason. Maybe she owns the company and only drinks orange soda. Or maybe she a former drunk and that's how she stays sober. Maybe. But here's what I think. I think she's been drinking orange soda since she was 10 years old. She orders it everywhere and drinks it with everything. And that made me sad. It made me sad because that woman and her husband look like good, solid American citizens. Republicans, Fox news viewers, Bush supporters. The kind of folks who vote, who demand tax breaks for their dairy business but hate welfare, the kind who support any bill with the word America in the title. In short, the kind of Ma & Pa, average Americans who run this country. And yet, with all that power, she is so sheltered that she drinks the same Orange Soda she's been drinking since the age of ten. It doesn't seem right.

Look, they don't need to be wine snobs, but I'd like some little bit of proof of a sophistication worthy of their age. Proof that they've learned something since their teen years. Do we really want to be led by people who haven't changed their drinking habits in 50 years? I don't. It almost makes me envy the French. "

Nenhum comentário: